Both the traditional and modern render system bring different things to the table with a number of features that today’s homeowners won’t like to miss. Based on the coatings that modern technology provides or a home that preferably goes best with the traditional coating, people choose it.
Whereas modern rendering technology prevents the cracking and comes as a low maintenance product, they are not environment-friendly, as some rendering methods make use of silicon and sometimes come expensive.
On the other hand, traditional rendering system has been in use for around hundreds of years. For example, the sand and cement render is cheap and can be repaired easily whenever the cracks appear. The old rendering system is effective to protect walls while covering the damaged brickwork. However traditional rendering is not as weather resistant as the modern renders, provide basic finish, prone to cracking and you may require to paint it every year.
However, both the modern and traditional rendering has their own list of pros and cons depending on the property, budget and weathering. Here is a short glimpse of how traditional and modern rendering works-
Traditional render system:
- Sand and cement render: This is the most traditional form of rendering, and comes the cheapest as well. It is just a mixture of cement mortar mix and sand that is applied over the wall and troweled up flat. Upon drying, it turns into the grey colour.
- Lime rendering: Lime rendering has a lesser risk of cracking and leaves attractive finish suitable for old properties. It is Eco-friendly, durable and takes longer to apply.
- Pebble-dash render: The pebbledash render is also known as dry dash render. After applying a sand or lime render, pebbles and small stones are thrown to the walls when it is still wet and create a decorative finish.
- Clay rendering: Being a natural material, clay render is mostly used for exterior coating. It is the most popular among the homeowners, who want eco-friendly homes. It is applied over straw and timbers since the clay attracts and hold water.
Modern render system:
- Acrylic rendering: Acrylic rendering offer a finished coat due to the use of “acrylic resin”, which is a type of plastic that added to the render during the manufacturing. It increases the flexibility of render.
- Coloured rendering: The general term used for coloured rendering is polymer rendering. The modern-day rendering comes with coloured pigment added during the pigmentation process. Hence, you no more have to paint it.
- Silicon rendering: The silicon rendering create a high degree of water repellency, and the surface come breathable giving walls a nice natural look.
- Insulated rendering of EWI: The exterior wall insulation or EWI provides thermal insulation to the home while adding the decorative coating.
- Monocouche render: It is a one-coat cement based render, which is weather resistant as well as breathable. It is more expensive than the traditional cement rendering but ensures much more durability with a nicer finish.
When it comes to giving your property special effects, different colours and patterns to change the look of it, both the modern and traditional rendering works greatly. At Rendering Express, you will get some traditional as well as modern rendering options to provide the best coating to your property.